Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I love living in the suburbs

Hey, I like a day in the country. And I don't mind going downtown to work or go to a show. But for everyday living, nothing beats the suburbs. In my suburban home I am within walking distance of several restaurants and stores. I'm within a short driving distance of lots of shopping, dining, and movies. If I want to ride my bicycle into the country, it doesn't take long. Why would I want to live anywhere else?

I'm not alone. Here in the east end of Louisville, we have plenty of diversity. There are plenty of Mexicans (legal & undocumented), Asians, Mormans, Baptists, Jews, Bosnians, and more. Why do all these folks come to the suburbs? We think life is good here.

According to Joel Kotkin, the susburbs have "rarely been popular among academics, planners, and the punditry." Of course. The suburbs represent the efforts of the middle class to take control of their destinies. What academic, planner, or pundit likes the chaos caused by millions of people making individual choices?

Well, I see beauty in chaos. God bless the suburbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment